Thursday, June 10, 2010

First AP Tests

So we had the first of our AP tests this week. It's always nerve-wracking to take the first tests because you're not sure how the professor is going to present it. I know it sounds boastful, but being my first science class since college days, I'm proud to say I received a perfect score on the lab quiz! However, the lecture test was a slightly different story. Although it was all multiple choice, I was thrown by some of the questions and just plain couldn't remember certain definitions that would have helped. :/ I eked by with a 90. I'm determined to get an A in this class, so I have to get a solid A on the next lecture test.

Next week, we have the Skeletal Practical exam for lab. We'll be tested on all the bones we've learned so far, plus the new markings we've learned in today's lab. I don't know why, but I really have no problem remembering and identifying these. They are work at first, of course, but the professor gives us time to get in groups and quiz one another on all the bones and review. Once that's done, it sticks. I will probably be able to get away with a short review before the quiz, but I am not sweating it. Now, why the lecture material doesn't stick as easily, I have no idea. Maybe because it's not as visual? Despite having plenty of slides, notes, charts, drawings, etc., some of these processes and details are lost in my memory. Somehow, I've got to improve that.

I was talking to my mother about how I don't ever recall wanting to get an A in any class... in high school or college. So this is really strange that I want to do well. Strange in a good way, but I probably sound super competitive and geeky. Now I know what it feels like to be those older students who sat in the front in my college classes! But I guess it's what comes with maturity—and when the drive is there to push yourself towards a goal. I know people who think I'm nuts to do all this schooling so "late" in life. But I'm actually enjoying it! And that's a good sign: I better enjoy what I'm planning to do!

No comments: