Tuesday, June 1, 2010

AP I - Day 1

My first AP I class (lab) was tonight. Lecture is M/W, lab is T/Th. And I am going to be geeky and say, "I really like it". It was a full class (about 24 students) and I feel fortunate to get a really good professor. We're also lucky that he teaches the lecture, so it will make things consistent.

Talking to other students, they told me he is really good. I agree! What I like about the professor is that he is very clear and concise, has some humor, doesn't just "lecture", makes the class interesting and go by relatively quickly (it *is* a 4-hr, class after all), and truly wants the students to do well. He is strict (will take 5 pts off your grade if your cell phone rings, you get an F if you miss more than 1 class) but has an excellent memory and says he will know all of our names within the week. And while lecturing in lab, he specifically says "write this down", and proceeds to rattle off specific information that you better know. He's not trying to make learning difficult or be mysterious of what will be tested.

Today's class was primarily the policies, but we also had a run-down of how to use the compound light microscope, how to measure field of vision, and learned anatomical positioning. We also got out 30 mins early. Granted, it's the first class and lecture remains to be seen tomorrow night, but I think he'll make it a good class. I can exhale a little. Just a little. :)

Down side: book/lab book cost me $270 combined. And I still have to buy a lab coat. Up side: they will also be used for AP II class.

No comments: