Sunday, May 30, 2010

Volunteer Break

Today was my last day of ALL volunteer work until late August. I can't believe I've been doing this for the past 6 months straight! While I enjoyed the work and people I worked with, I won't miss the 6am weekend alarm. Now, I've got a short break that, in retrospect, is much needed. I'm someone who would rather plough through the difficult things before enjoying a break. Like when I was enlisted to mow the lawn at home, I would rather finish it all at once, rather than take a break and get a cold glass of water. However, I realize I may burn out this way. And though I have a break, it really isn't a true break: summer class session 1 starts in 2 days.

Working a full-time job plus 4-hr classes, 4 days a week, mandated as much studying time as possible. While excited, I realize these upcoming science classes are the real test of my abilities, perseverance, aptitude, organization, etc. English Comp I was my warm-up, but can I hack it in science classes? I have my doubts, but try to shove them away and not dwell on it. I need to believe it and not think anything less. Nonetheless, I'm uber anxious in anticipation. My Korean friend, who I wrote about earlier, once told me my nerves will settle after I know how the professor tests and what to expect. She said I'll find someone in the class who will naturally gravitate towards me in being a "study buddy". I think she's right. I noticed it even in my English Comp class. I naturally gravitated towards 2 particular students, and they, to me. If we had needed to study with each other, we'd have likely chosen each other.

So my last day of freedom is tomorrow. And I have to clean this apartment to declutter my mind and stay organized.

No comments: