Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Missing... Weekends

It was a beautiful day out today. And I spent it at the hospital, of course. Last weekend was also gorgeous weather, and for the first time since I started this direction in my life, I felt a little disappointment of all the warm weekends I'll miss and having a real break from work. I didn't do that much before, but I enjoyed having no plans and letting the weekend unravel as I liked. Now, I won't have much time to bike ride in Prospect Park and throughout Brooklyn. I miss swimming at the pool (I canceled my membership as I just don't have the time to go). I'll miss the Five Boro Bike Tour and Summer Streets biking (weekends). And though I'm doing all this for a worthy goal (so I keep telling myself!), it's hard not to feel a little jealous as others enjoy their weekends.

Since volunteering (which I do enjoy on the most part), I have been waking up at 6:15a weekend mornings to arrive at the hospital at 8a. It's not far, but with our lousy MTA and pokey trains, I always seem to just get there on time. Weekends are like work days. And since I have a full time job that I need to pay bills, mortgage, etc., my only available time to volunteer, is weekends. It's amazing how being on your feet all day can literally exhaust you. If there are errands to run, I attempt to tackle them them immediately after the hospital. There's a running joke with my co-volunteer in the Caregiver program that my plans for the rest of the day involve a run to Target. Sadly, it's true. If I go home, forget it! I cannot move and sometimes take a quick nap. One thing for sure, if (no, when) I make it through, I'm taking a nice, long vacation!

No comments: