Sunday, August 22, 2010

Summer Streets!

Favorite Bike Shop
Dumpster Diving
Ok, this isn't really health or school-related. But it *is* part of my stress-free regimen, and it does involve exercise, so I'm going to count it as bloggable. :)

Yesterday, I biked Summer Streets. The city closes down a section of streets from the Brooklyn Bridge to 72nd Street for cyclists, runners, rollerbladers, walkers, etc! I've done it every year they've had it and almost missed this year. The route from home to the Brooklyn Bridge is not car free for me, however. But I have done it several times and found a pretty good route. It's about 12 miles round trip. If only I didn't have to run over so many tourists on the bridge!

They have lots of activities and vendors along the way. This year, they had "Dumpster Diving" which was really cool. That's the 2nd picture. A group converted dumpsters into some pretty snazzy pools! I would soooo love to have one to swim laps in! (Albeit, very short laps) We've had such a humid summer that this was perfect for those who dared put on a suit for all the public to see! (Not me!) It was located right before Park Avenue goes up and around Grand Central terminal. Check out better pictures and construction as they were put up, here!

Here's some video from my biking perspective, looking south on Park Avenue, Grand Central Terminal behind me (Special thanks to my awesome iphone camera for all these pics and videos!):

No comments: