Sunday, July 25, 2010

Hospital #1 Volunteering

Earlier this week, I had my medical visit for Hospital #1 where I'll start volunteering at this fall, provided all my tests go well (as I expect they should). Hospital #2, where I've been volunteering and will continue to volunteer at (while taking a short break this summer), had pretty straight forward and simple medical paperwork requirements. However, Hospital #2 has many more tests they do. So it took me 2 hrs for my first visit. I brought all my paperwork that showed previous tests and vaccinations, hoping to avoid bloodwork.

I have to say I'm extremely impressed with this hospital. It is no wonder they are one of the top hospitals in the country. Their clinic is run pretty efficiently, I might add. Each health worker who saw me (and I was called in at least 3 times while waiting), was very professional, followed an identification protocol, and was super friendly and unrushed. And this is just the employee health clinic!

As I mentioned, I was called in about 3 times. 1) for a general physical, 2) to give a urine sample and then determine what blood tests I needed. I had records for a recent MMR vaccine, so they only took blood for the Hep. B and C tests. The nurse got it in one stick despite having to move it around a couple times. My arms are not easy to find a good vein, so I was even more impressed! Lastly, 3) a colorblind test, eye test, and then the first part of the PPD (TB) test.

I returned a couple days later to have my PPD test read and will have to return end of this week for another injection for the 2nd step of the TB test. Then I return again for a final read. Fun times all around! Once this is done and I"m placed, I think I get fingerprinted and receive an ID. Wheee! :)

No comments: